theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net
theHybrid-Angler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» LIS Summer 2011 Reports
a bouqet of reels EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm by RedneckAngler

» The Original Offshore Charter
a bouqet of reels EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm by RedneckAngler

» Diawa demo w/ CT Outfitters and the Blackhawk
a bouqet of reels EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm by RedneckAngler

» spring salty reports 2011
a bouqet of reels EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm by meatloaf

» old school penns-spinning reels for surfcasting
a bouqet of reels EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm by meatloaf

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

a bouqet of reels

3 posters

Go down

a bouqet of reels Empty a bouqet of reels

Post by meatloaf Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:26 pm

it's absolutely ridiculous, has anybody thumbed through a cabelas or basspro catalog lately...seems like many reel companies are revamping their lines or adding completely new models...diawa has a sick new conventional reel, it;s blue and won some new reel award for 2009..it look like it's bulletproof......shimano has a even better baitfeeder..not to mention their lineup of salt water cast/conv reels looks immaculate...okuma is really pushing all kinds of new models.....i actually had to twist my own arm to buy one.....i was looking for a boat reel for the ocean...but i could not afford a 113h special senator from penn....i also could not afford a big gt or gto levelwind.....so i settled on a okuma convector 30d..it's a trolling levelwind..oversized gearbox, huge handle...not bad for 80 bucks..i put it on a boat rod HOMER gave me...the reel that was originally on was a penn jigmaster..little too lite for the race, ya know?....anyways it seems like if you spend money on an okuma you get what you pay for..i see cabelas doesnt even advertise the avenger series from okuma in the catalog...good idea, cause the avenger sucks.........if you are thinking of getting one, dont.....spend 20 bucks more and get an epixor..or better yet....get a penn...their captiva series and their ssg models aren't terrribly that much more than an avenger..and they are reliable...i am thoroughly impressed by avet's lineup and also fin-nors...they all look beautiful and strong.....but forget looking at them in a catalog...go to cabelas and test drive one....pick it up and fuck with it...test the crank...test the drag....like test driving a car...and for god sakes...if one of us has model you are interested in, ask to borrow it...can't hurt...you might be able to really test drive it on a fish!
meatloaf
meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

a bouqet of reels Empty Re: a bouqet of reels

Post by meatloaf Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:28 pm

penn has two new spinning reels...one is in the high 100's with a new system that allows you to grease gears without taking it apart....looks pretty good....but i will say it looks like a captiva on steroids....not like the ssm or the ssg..or slammer for that matter....it's sturdiness will be a true test as to how it will act in an arsenal that gets heavy use.....and surprise!they got a new spinning reel over 650..van staal territory......it's got fancy holes, fancy parts......it makes me sick that they sell reels like this....actually..no it makes me sick that someone would buy this...if my salary were triple, i still wouldn't buy one...i would rather go on a sick tuna trip or get some fly fishing lessons from pat torrey instead.i would have to be more than a millionaire to buy something like that....650 bucks can buy are you ready for this?
1 penn senator 113 h reel with rod=170
tfo 9wt beginner fly fishing outfit(rod/reel and line=200
560L penn slammer and 9ft ande cork taped surf rod=190
a humminbird pirahna max 160(fishfinder)=90

and all of these products are fuckin awesome.....i have tried most of what you see above or variances thereof.......and they rule.....
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:56 am

I think it's become a case of pricing a reel at $700-$800 because you can and you want to be seen as keeping up with the Jones' (or the Van Staal's). Shimano jumped in with their Stella series, and Penn doesn't want to look bad by not putting a it's own high end reel. At almost 500 yrds/80lb. braid and 50lbs. of drag, the Torque can handle as much as the 80VSW. Fishing this thing anything short of big game is overkill. I could drag stripers in with 100lb. line and an electric winch, but what fun is that? If I won the lottery and could buy my dream canyon runner, then I might splash on one of these.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuna Hunter Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 am

I actually have the new Shimano Sargosa. Which is the next level down from the Stella. I bought it for jigging tuna. I have it on a Shimano Trevela. I haven't caught a tuna on it yet, just a few blues and stripers. It is a beast, 48lbs of drag. It's really smooth and you can add a bailless kit. It is pretty much the same a the Stella, just not as pretty and cheaper.
Tuna Hunter
Tuna Hunter
bunker
bunker

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:06 pm

That Sargosa setup is nice. Cabela's has the Fin-Nor Ahab on closeout for $109 as the line is being replaced with the Offshore. I have the ABS12 which has been a really nice reel for nearshore fishing.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuna Hunter Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:59 pm

I have the Fin Nor offshore, I think that's the one I switch over for you to jig with on the Tuna trip. I like it, good solidly built reels. In my opinion it's the best deal you can get on a heavyweight spinner. I think the main difference on the ahab, is it's weight and max drag. I'm starting to get really itchy to get out.
Tuna Hunter
Tuna Hunter
bunker
bunker

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I've tinkered with, cleaned and respooled my gear and am dying to get out.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

a bouqet of reels Empty penn has lost their minds!

Post by meatloaf Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 pm

are you serious?...cabelas does not have the new penns but there are 3 new saltwater spinning models on basspro website....WTF....i thought that they would stay focused on their core good sellers...but i guess you have to compete....wish they would make them in the usa...but still.....dying to get my hands on a newer model. bounce
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down