theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net
theHybrid-Angler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» LIS Summer 2011 Reports
charter fishing EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm by RedneckAngler

» The Original Offshore Charter
charter fishing EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm by RedneckAngler

» Diawa demo w/ CT Outfitters and the Blackhawk
charter fishing EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm by RedneckAngler

» spring salty reports 2011
charter fishing EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm by meatloaf

» old school penns-spinning reels for surfcasting
charter fishing EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm by meatloaf

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

charter fishing

4 posters

Go down

charter fishing Empty charter fishing

Post by meatloaf Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm

is so good..and the best part about is no amount of hand cleaner can take the smell of herring off your hands...a good trick is to use vanilla extract(fake)....my fav boat is the mijoy..of which i have been on every year for the past 18 years...you could say i am loyal, well i am...but i have used the hawk, too...and they are good...i just prefer the mijoy cause it's bigger and you can sit inside....i have caught big fish on both boats...to be cont.
meatloaf
meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

charter fishing Empty Re: charter fishing

Post by bassman Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 pm

the myjoy is an ok boat but it sits high off the water. my preference is the blackhawk II. Or better yet a private charter for six.
bassman
bassman
foulmouth bass
foulmouth bass

Male
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm

but the mijoy has superior mates....and they have a bathroom in case you drink a lot of beer
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bassman Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 am

it's a big ocean just pee over the side. haha
bassman
bassman
foulmouth bass
foulmouth bass

Male
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Heckler Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:59 am

just don't hammer your junk against the gunwale. i prefer a smaller more intimate setting (six), but that's just me. either way doesn't matter. but when i feel a strike and i am pulling for dear life, and look over to the starboard, or port side and i see some guy pulling at the same time, it's a pain in the ass on bigger boats. to many tangles.
Heckler
Heckler
nile perch
nile perch

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:15 pm

oh i agree...but priv charters are expensive!...but you get what you pay for....big bucks=more fun, and more feesh?
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heckler Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm down for whatever. Just let me know. If you need a hand organizing.
Heckler
Heckler
nile perch
nile perch

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Sat May 03, 2008 10:55 pm

i use a three way rig sometimes , and it pisses everybody else off...but i won the pool once cause of it, and i swear by it under the right conditions. i only do this on walk on boats, but if we get this charter with the min of 20 people, i will have room to negotiate the most feared pool winning method, the three way system with a beer in my belly
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm

here is keith danger with a bloody blue
charter fishing 12460010
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Just booked a day in June with Jack Balint out Groton and Fish Connection Charters. Never fished with him. I'm going light tackle for stripers with my brother and another guy I regularly fish with. Hope to get him out if we do a HM trip. His price is right at $450 for a full day up to three fishing, and he does a lot of the seminars and is supposed to land a lot of fish. I hope so. This will give me a chance to fish the Stonington area out to Watch Hill.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

charter fishing Empty Consider shopping around and weekdays

Post by RedneckAngler Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm

With lower gas prices and the crap economy, charter boats can be a bargain this year if you do decide to go out. I've heard a lot of talk about slow bookings for the early season. Sometimes a bit more $$ up front can negotiate a pretty good rate as a bird in hand... Also getting out with the same outfit a few times can really help as well. If anyone does decide to book and needs a few extra bodies to spread the $$, post it in this section.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:09 pm

good idea.........i am surprised at the price you just posted...seems like prices went down a lil bit....good for us...bad for the charter industry...but this will let the great captains shine...they should continue to do well even in a crappy economy...i will be willing to bet some are banding together to help each other out, and some bad apples will be badmouthing other boats,,,the only badmouthing i do is if i see a boat do things illegally...any trip can end up in a skunk...that isn't the captains' fault
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Good point about the captains. I look for a few things when going out w/ new boats.
1) Captain is knowledgable but listens to what you are interested in and works to put together a plan and does a good job of explaining the strategy. I look to learn from these guys every time I go out. There are some out there who could care less about tides, whats biting when, etc. They want to leave at x, drift the race, and get back at y regardless. I can go on the Blackhawk, Sunbeam or Mijoy for that.
2) Like being out there and get pumped when clients catch big fish. Some of the best guys I've gone out with share knowledge, tell great stories, and will tell you that the biggest rush for them is hooking people up with the target species. 4-10 hours on a boat with a guy that acts like he's having about as much fun as working a production line makes for a long trip.
3) Thinks "out of the box" and will change up the game plan on a slow day. Sometimes the fish don't seem to bite but a good captain will at least try a bit of everything. There are days when everyone gets skunked, but you know when a guy has busted his ass trying to get you on the fish, and that's a guy I will fish with again.
4) Big for me - wants to preserve the sport. Is ethical in methods and works to preserve the stocks. Believe it or not, I hate to eat fish, so I catch and release unless I want a few fillets for friends. Perhaps my coolest fishing moment was at the end of landing my one and only marlin, brought it to the side of the boat to snap a few pics, and then cut it loose. The fish and I were spent, and that thing just glided back down into deep water.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Mon May 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Night fishing w/ Sunbeam V on August 8th! Meatloaf, Keith, myself and a few other guys have already reserved. See the guy on the webpage with the monster bass! All Fares $73.00 per person
Plus $5.00 rod rental
Live eels included
Need to reserve w/ credit card.

Tons of fun w/ these guys @ the Sunbeam Fleet.

charter fishing Nightb10
charter fishing Night_10
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

RedneckAngler wrote:Good point about the captains. I look for a few things when going out w/ new boats.
1) Captain is knowledgable but listens to what you are interested in and works to put together a plan and does a good job of explaining the strategy. I look to learn from these guys every time I go out. There are some out there who could care less about tides, whats biting when, etc. They want to leave at x, drift the race, and get back at y regardless. I can go on the Blackhawk, Sunbeam or Mijoy for that.
2) Like being out there and get pumped when clients catch big fish. Some of the best guys I've gone out with share knowledge, tell great stories, and will tell you that the biggest rush for them is hooking people up with the target species. 4-10 hours on a boat with a guy that acts like he's having about as much fun as working a production line makes for a long trip.
3) Thinks "out of the box" and will change up the game plan on a slow day. Sometimes the fish don't seem to bite but a good captain will at least try a bit of everything. There are days when everyone gets skunked, but you know when a guy has busted his ass trying to get you on the fish, and that's a guy I will fish with again.
4) Big for me - wants to preserve the sport. Is ethical in methods and works to preserve the stocks. Believe it or not, I hate to eat fish, so I catch and release unless I want a few fillets for friends. Perhaps my coolest fishing moment was at the end of landing my one and only marlin, brought it to the side of the boat to snap a few pics, and then cut it loose. The fish and I were spent, and that thing just glided back down into deep water.

couldn't have said it better myself...you really do get what you pay for...usually...all this knowledge will help us one day when one of has a decent seaworthy boat of our own...i plan to have a good fresh/salt boat when i retire...(cross my fingers)
the good captains are just as addicted to fishing as we are, if not more...
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Heading out this weekend with my brother and friend Jeff to fish Watch Hill, RI area. Hope the squid will be in heavy by then. So far, stripers of any size have eluded me. Hoping to change that. Will be posting a report Sunday evening. Two more weeks of school until I am basically fishing full time!
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Quick Report for 6/14
Went out this morning from NL with Capt. Jack Ballant from The Fishing Connection. Weather didn't look promising. Ran to Little Gull/Big Gull to troll some tube & worm. No joy. As the weather rolled in from the west we headed to Race Rock lighthouse and then the leeward side of Fishers Island. Temp was dropping, the sky opening up and there was no bite anywhere, so we headed back in by 8:30am to reschedule the trip on 7/12. Jack was great about offering a reschedule as opposed to sitting out for 6 more hours of bad fishing. We are looking forward to July 12th!
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 pm

that is great that he did that...he wants repeat business, and will surely get it with that kind of client-1st attitude
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm planning on booking a weekday striper trip between Monday 6/28 and Thursday 7/1. I'll be going out w/ Jack Balint for stripers, leaving from the Avery Point area. Cost is $450 for a full 8hr day. We usually fish three, and it's hard to beat a full day for $150 each. If anyone is interested, LMK, and also if you have a day preference. As soon as I get at least one firm commitment I'll block a date w/ Jack. Had a good trip w/ him last year, and already have another booked with friends Jeff and Joe. Right now the weekdays are open, and the fishing in the LIS isn't as crowded. Also watch for posting later in the spring for some surf nights or perhaps a party boat trip.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:51 am

Went out with Capt. Greg Dubrule and crew on the Blackhawk as I had a pass I won in their raffle and a day to fish. I knew it would be hit or miss as the night bite was on for the bass, but the blues had yet to show in size and numbers in the LIS. On this particularly beautiful Wednesday we only had a small showing, not the post 4th numbers once the blues are in and the summer really begins. Most boats would have said sorry, have to try another day. However, Captain Dubrule and his crew took us out, knowing it wasn't going to amount to a payday for them. All of those who fished were rewarded with the first arrival of big blues this summer! I've been on lots of party boats from the Carolinas up to New England, and I have to say, the Blackhawk is one of the most fun. Where most captains sit in the wheelhouse and let the crews run the decks, Capt. Dubrule takes a hands on approach to make sure everyone has the best opportunity to catch fish. In his words, "I'm not yelling at you, I'm instructing loudly!" Whether they are words of encouragement, congratulations, whoops of excitement or to let you know you are screwing something up and better correct it to catch fish, there is no doubt that he is out there having fun and working to ensure a great day for all. We caught big blues at Plum Gut and then on the rips between Plum I. and Black Point. The birds were working big schools of bait. All of us caught fish, but the big winners were the two kids on the boat. Hunter out fished us all landing half a dozen big chopper blues and another kid reeled in a nice mid-30s keeper bass. These kids are on their way to being fishermen for life. BIG THANKS to Captain Dubrule and the crew of the Blackhawk.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 pm

My truck reeks of SKUNK!!!!!! Twice in a row with my little bro' (He did catch a few fish). We fished from Plum Island to Watch Hill and every reef in between with nada. No birds, no schools. Doug had a shorty striper, a big blue and a porgy. I lost something. The day was beautiful, but the water sucked. Murky, lots of weeds, but still not the big churn up it needs from a nor'easter tearing through. I'm glad Doug caught, as he doesn't get to fish as often, and is excited about coming back up in September to try for a bass, blues, albies and bonito grand slam. I think Jack felt as bad as any of us, but if anybody caught fish out there from Milford to Watch Hill (scup don't count), please lmk where. We didn't do any chunking, but I find that pretty boring. I suppose we could have dropped a few deep porgy. One of those days. That was some expensive bluefish!