theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net
theHybrid-Angler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» LIS Summer 2011 Reports
Reel Care EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm by RedneckAngler

» The Original Offshore Charter
Reel Care EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm by RedneckAngler

» Diawa demo w/ CT Outfitters and the Blackhawk
Reel Care EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm by RedneckAngler

» spring salty reports 2011
Reel Care EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm by meatloaf

» old school penns-spinning reels for surfcasting
Reel Care EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm by meatloaf

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Reel Care

2 posters

Go down

Reel Care Empty Reel Care

Post by RedneckAngler Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm

A few post have brought up the topic, and after a trip to Philly this past weekend I thought I'd revisit. Unless you're running charters and getting extreme daily use, quality reels last a long time. I've got a variety of Penn, Diawa, Shimano, Fin-Nor and other reels. Some are new (I'm compulsive) and others are 20+ years old. My 20+ year reels still fish great. My brother's, on the other hand, all have the distict grinding feel. He doesn't seem to care as he fishes 1-2 times a year. A must for those new to NaCl is to thoroughly rinse and then wipe down you reels after each use. I also reduce the pressure on the drag and reset each time before I go out. It helps the maintain the drag and the last thing you want to do is lose a fish because the drag was too tight from the last fish caught 2 weeks ago (been there, done that). My reels stay mounted and the rods are on racks on the ceiling, so I dont keep them in cases (you can). I periodically use a bit of Penn oil and at the end of the season I do an overhaul on each reel. I've posted a few sites, and I'm sure there are many others.

Good "How To" sites
PENN REEL MAINTENANCE
Reelschematic.com
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Reel Care Empty Re: Reel Care

Post by meatloaf Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:12 pm

great post...that is one thing i am behind on...but that will change........
get me the make/model year of your outboard...i can see if i can work magic to find you a manual
meatloaf
meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum