theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net
theHybrid-Angler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» LIS Summer 2011 Reports
spring salty reports 2011  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm by RedneckAngler

» The Original Offshore Charter
spring salty reports 2011  EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm by RedneckAngler

» Diawa demo w/ CT Outfitters and the Blackhawk
spring salty reports 2011  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm by RedneckAngler

» spring salty reports 2011
spring salty reports 2011  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm by meatloaf

» old school penns-spinning reels for surfcasting
spring salty reports 2011  EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm by meatloaf

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

spring salty reports 2011

2 posters

Go down

spring salty reports 2011  Empty spring salty reports 2011

Post by meatloaf Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 pm

today tom and went to the mouth of the housie, and we showed up to early..my brother tim went just to hang out and film us a little bit...we didn't get on any fish, we actually left when things were starting to heat up...water was a lil chilly, weedy at the peak of high tide, and the current from the housie is quick!...

no fish for us, but we did realize that my waders were totally f'up...time to take up inventory and fix/replace shit.....

tim took this great video of local guide steven thomas, who will hopefully get in this forum, thanks to him for letting us film him....he got a meaty just -over keeper size striper......fought BIG for it's size...i thought it was WAY bigger...he handled the fish perfectly....he's probably eating it with his fiance right now....lol....here is the vid..more pics to follow...

steve guides out of R.I. coming in june on the flats...from his gear, the way he casts, everything about him tells me he is a very successful angler.it was cool to see him land that striper on a fly.....

i had a great day, just being in the water was therapeutic...we were able to wade really far just before low tide...
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0510
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0511
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0512
WOW...last time i buy cabelas three forks waders...cheap buckles and now two soles coming off....wtf!
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0513

spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0514
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0515
so in a nutshell... at high tide you wont see seagrass poking out of the water....you probably will catch weeds like every cast...other than that the entry point is pretty sandy/mud bottomed....and as the the tide goes back to low....the farther you wade the more you will see the river current in the water...it clears up quite a bit, and you will see many shell pieces like i posted....that bottom is a little more stable than the many sandbars in the area(less sinking)
the locals seem to flock towards low tidal times...many of them fly fish for stripers.tons of exposed sea grass around the point and in the marsh area..lots of cool wading birds around

here is a pic of tim, who took pics of us all day....
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0516
meatloaf
meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

spring salty reports 2011  Empty Re: spring salty reports 2011

Post by RedneckAngler Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Nice vid and report!
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf Sun May 15, 2011 10:59 pm

that okuma is so getting to the bottom of my crap bin......
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Striper Fishing has Lit the F*@^ Up!

The striper fishing was lit up, both literally and figuratively last night and tonight. After a 3:00pm put in on the start of an outgoing tide in Niantic yesterday, fishing went from slow to good. I'm pretty limited in where and in what conditions can fish my little skiff. Had a few blue blitzes and 4 short stripers on the outflow from 3:30-4:30. Working up Two-Tree, Bartlett's, Harkness and back to Black Point was completely unproductive. With storms approaching, I decided to head back into Niantic Bay and hit a few spots I like. Trolling T&W I had a strike within a 100 yrds, and thus began 2 hours of catching 25"-27" stripers with one monster that ripped the road out of the holder (ESPN worthy highlight catch on my part) and spooled my light trolling rig almost twice before breaking off. Couldn't sleep until 2:00am thinking about the hardest hit and run I have experienced in a while. Tonight we decided to cheat Mother Nature again, and left Stonington at about 4:00 just as high tide was peaking. Fishing with Jack Balint from The Fish Connection in Preston, whom I fish with several times a year and always have a great time. Jack specializes in light tackle and fly fishing, so we were working with GLoomis Pro-Green rods, light Stradic and Penn reels, 12lb.test and 7" pink and amber sluggos. Plan was poke around from the east of Fisher's until the tide picked back up, but 5 minutes out of Stonington we were on the fish. Right off the bat I was into a fish in the mid-30's (inches) and it kept going from there. Even as the tide went slack, the fish kept biting. You could see stripers on squid and ink blotches as the squid sought to escape. It was easy to follow the sluggos and see the fish moving in for the big surface strikes. It was a race to see how much fishing we could get in with the massive storm bearing down on us. Completely lost count of the fish landed in the 2 hours before a mad dash back to the barn. Most were in the mid-30's. Can't imagine (well, I can) what a few more hours at that pace would have been like.

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

spring salty reports 2011  Empty sat june 5th marsh report

Post by meatloaf Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 pm

so i went by myself to a spot my brother told me about in stonington..i was over his house for the weekend, and i promised myself i would go for a couple hours...i took a small surf bag and my 10 footer with a penn 704z......i had no idea where i was going would be all schoolies and shallow marsh.....i love the spot, although i will say you have to travel in an area where you cannot be.... "amtrack cops" dont allow you to be there......
fuck that...i have a lic, i am an adult, and when i was there i got waives from all the boaters passing by like someone belongs there fishing.....

so ...the time to fish that area is close to high tide when the bigger bait gets chased in...while it was lower, i noticed it's a great nursery for young fish..lots of place to hide......similar to mangroves in fla.....(in principle)

my outfit was way too large.....i needed to use a 7 footer with soft plastics...

i tried a houdini shad,a polaris popper with no luck...
went back to a pearl houdini in 9 in and slam....fuck...what was that?
brought it in...bittin in half...clean.......bluefish!fucker!
well i thought...., i dont care about getting my shit bitten , i just want to catch them,so i switched to a 9 in reaction strike tandem softie whoopass in green.....action way more subtle,no darting,spitting, or glider action, but man i will tell you....a great finesse presentation....got 1 small schoolie on 5th or so cast.....same size as lure!
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0610

then i got a big hit with some line play 10 mins later, thought it was a keeper...was a schoolie i foul hooked in the back...released after i took a pic with very little harm done....then i had to get back...long walk back...with a big smile on my face.....my 704z, well i have to put in a review for it...i love it......same for reaction strike lure!
spring salty reports 2011  Dscf0611[img][/img]
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 am

Limited success last night fishing the shoreline from Niantic to Harkness. A schoolie and blues at the outflow, a barely keeper and schoolies between the sanitorium and Harkness. Got back to my night/safe spot from about 8:30-11:00 and had a few hits but no hook-ups. However, adult bunker schools the size of a football field were at the top of Niantic Bay. Wish I had a bait pen or access to one in Niantic. Snagged a few and let them limp around hoping to get a big bass, but no luck in 2 hours. Saw an occasional big tail swirl. I tried snagged bunker, big pre-rigged hogy eels, a large bunker swimbait, smaller lures, trolling through and around the schools and nothing. I guess the stripers that were there had so much bait to choose from that it was hard to get a hit.
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

spring salty reports 2011  Empty proxy report june 13th hammonasett

Post by meatloaf Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:07 am

so my pops went by himself to his favorite salty spot between early afternoon on monday june 13th...without giving his hole away, it's close to meigs point and is very sandy on the bottom....great sandworm spot.......
he caught 3 stripers.a 20 in , a 22 in , and a 28in keeper that he took home...the keeper he got on a circle hook, the rest on thinner wire bait wooks......also he got a wing to wing 30"skate estimated at 20lbs...big as all hell....he says his fingers did not touch as he carried it by the meatiest part of the tail...that's a monster....eyeballs as big as half dollars.....that skate and one of the smaller schoolies bent the bejesus out of his hooks....
he was very proud of himself, as not catching a keeper from there in two years....he grilled it, and says was the best striper he has ever eaten.....
also he had a great chance at seeing his new reel in action...i helped him get a penn captiva line liner off ebay, and he loves it...although he hasnt really used the baitfeeder feature yet, he was impressed at the play of the reel while a fish was on....he said the keeper smashed his sandworm.....one hit bent over in half, and taking line immediately.
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

spring salty reports 2011  Empty proxy reports from yoda-past 3 weeks

Post by meatloaf Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm

the rocks in rhode island have been heating up the past few weeks, yoda has gotten more than 5 keepers and many shorts, lots of schoolies on bombers......he said last time if he had eels he would have gotten a motherload...he got 3 keepers that on day on just plugs...he's a night time dude that uses old school penns, modern and old school plugs, and lastly eels....he has been doing well with slow cranking eels for many years now....
also this dude is one of those crazy awesome surf fiends who uses penn squidders on monster bait casting rods.....truly you have be in an old school mindset and have skill in order to use or try that kind of wizardry
meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down